HOW TO KEEP MOSQUITOES FROM BITING
Mosquitoes are annoying. They also carry serious diseases, but for most of us, the issue is that they buzz, bite, and just are a nuisance. We understand how the itching from the mosquito bite feels and how it annoying can it get when you have to rub it.
If they try to crash your barbecue, gardening or kids playdate, follow you during your morning walks, and deprive you of your sleep, you don’t have to take it. You might not eradicate the earth of mosquitoes, but there are a few things you can do to lessen that odds that you will get bitten.
KEEPING MOSQUITOES FROM BITING
- Wear light colored clothes
When on an outdoor adventure in the wilderness or a backyard party, one should wear lighter clothes. Mosquitos are attracted by darker colors so keeping your outdoor clothing selection light can help you from mosquito bites.
- Wear appropriate clothing
The mosquito usually bites on the areas of skin which are exposed. We cannot cover our entire body, but the most we can do is to wear long-sleeves shirts. In warm climates, this may sound a ridiculous idea, but we are not asking to wear jumpers or jeans. A cotton t-shirt and linen trousers can keep you safe. Some outdoor gear makers actually make special mosquito protection shirts that are incredibly light and comfortable, even in very hot conditions. As an added bonus, you will need to use less sunscreen!
- Use mosquito repellents. The mosquito repellents do not kill the mosquitos, but they keep them away from you. It is the most effective solution to keep the mosquitos from biting you. Why? Because these insect repellents contain chemicals such as picaridin and DEET. These chemicals repel mosquitos and have been very effective. Different mosquito repellents are available in the market in creams and spray form. It offers the cheapest and effective form of repelling mosquitos.
- Avoiding peak mosquito hours
Normally the mosquitos are more active at the time of dawn and dusk. This is the time when the air breeze is low, and the temperature is cool, so the mosquitos become active. It is important for you to not make your outdoor plans at this time.
- Special attention for babies. Babies require a little more time and effort when it comes to mosquito protection, because they are unable to swat mosquitos away from their body, and some repellents may or may not be safe for their young and delicate skin. See our piece on mosquito repellents for babies for a few ideas on how to protect the precious little ones who might be in mosquito areas. Also, check their sleeping area for mosquitos before naps and bedtime.
- Sleeping in a mosquito net
Mosquito nets may be old fashioned, but throughout the years they have been providing very effective and cheap way of keeping mosquitos away. In rural areas where the people cannot afford the portable mosquito repellents, mosquito nets provide a very cheap way of providing a good sleep at night. Mosquito nets are the old school ways of keeping mosquitoes off of you.
- Portable Mosquito Traps
These are the mosquito repellent systems which work on lighting systems, infrared heat and carbon dioxides to attract mosquitos. After the mosquitos are attracted and move towards the trap, the surface of the source contains an electric current, and the mosquitos are killed the moment they come in contact with the trap.
NATURAL METHODS TO KEEP MOSQUITOS FROM BITING
Many of our readers are looking for natural, organic, or green solutions to prevent mosquito bites. Here are a few ideas.
- Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
Lemon Eucalyptus is a tall plant widely grown in Austria. In the older times, the smoke created by burning its leaf was used to keep mosquitos away. Presently, the oil obtained from the plant is one of the most trusted natural mosquito repellents. Applying the oil on your skin can protect you from the mosquito bites for several hours.
The pleasant odor of the mint which we love is loathed by the mosquitos. The oil obtained from mint extracts is used as a mosquito repellent.
- Coffee Grounds. The commonly known home remedy to repel the mosquitos away is by using coffee grounds. The technique is simple, and all you need to do is to sprinkle coffee ground wherever you find stagnant water. What happens is that the eggs are forced to come to the surface of water due to these coffee grounds where they become deprived of oxygen and die eventually.
- Citronella Oil. Whether used directly on the skin or in citronella candles, this oil contains natural ingredients which repel the mosquitos and can keep a mosquito from biting.
- Lavender Oil. The scent of lavender oil like any other chemical agent can be used to keep the mosquitos away. The smell is very strong, and when you apply a little amount on your body, the mosquitos won’t get near you. But don’t forget to use a body spray as well.
- Thyme Oil. When it comes to repelling malarial mosquitos, thyme oil is the best home remedy. Only 5% of thyme oil can repel mosquitos for hours. While camping, you can also throw thyme leaves in the camp fire to keep the mosquitos away.
Of course, the best way to keep mosquitoes from biting is to keep them away from your environment altogether. Be sure to check out our popular pieces on mosquito prevention. We provide 10 ways to keep mosquitoes out of your house, and 5 tips for preventing mosquitoes in your yard.
Also, if your issue is actually not mosquitoes but instead other critters, be sure you know exactly what you are trying to prevent. A tick, for example, and attack you from the ground-up and you don’t even know it is attaching to you. And keeping wasps away is an entirely different matter. Know your pest, and then act accordingly!
We offer our Contracting Services throughout many Southern California Counties and Cities:
- Orange County contract services
- Anaheim contract services
- Westminster contract services
- Fountain Valley contract services
- Irvine contract services
- Cypress contract services
- Garden Grove contract services
- Fullerton contract services
- Huntington Beach contract services
- Newport Beach contract services
- Costa Mesa contract services
- Seal Beach contract services
Our Contact Information:
Address: 17150 Newhope #904 Fountain Valley, CA 92708
Phone: (714) 486-2637
Fax: (714) 274-9867
Preferred Pest Control is proud to serve Fountain Valley, Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, and other surrounding Orange County communities with world-class pest control services. Let us know how we can help, and we’ll be in touch shortly with your free quote.
We accept all major credit cards!
- Wear light colored clothes