How to Get Rid of Gnats
Fungus gnats, fruit flies, and drain flies are all examples of gnats, which are little flying insects. Fungus gnats have black bodies and lengthy legs, whereas fruit flies are brown and spherical, and sewer flies have moth-like wingspan and are drawn to water. Because gnats reproduce quickly, managing an infestation as soon as possible is critical.
In this piece, we describe where gnats emerge from in the first place, provide step-by-step instructions for five practical gnat-removal methods, and detail prevention suggestions. We also propose Orange County Pest Control for treating these pests for homeowners who seek quick, high-value outcomes.
Where do Gnats Emerge From?
Gnats often enter your home from the outside via cracks or gaps in your basement, walls, windows, or doors. Gnats are commonly found in garbage cans, rotten fruits, and other wet areas where organic waste is degrading. They’re also common around sinks, drains, and toilets.
Gnats will not cause structural harm to your home, but they may create other issues. While all gnats bite, not all have mouth parts capable of penetrating the skin. Those who bite into your skin can spread viruses and illnesses while also causing itching, redness, inflammation, and swelling. If you have these symptoms, you should consult a doctor.
How to Get Rid of Gnats?
There are several methods for getting rid of gnats, ranging from traps to expert assistance. If you have a significant gnat infestation, it may be necessary to use more than one of these strategies to get rid of the bugs.
Use DIY Treatment
A vinegar trap is the most common alternative since it is simple and inexpensive to make. In a mixing bowl, combine a few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, a few drops of dish soap, and a tablespoon of sugar. Place your bowl in a gnat-infested location, such as your bathroom or kitchen. The mix of sugar and apple cider vinegar attracts gnats, and the dish soap catches and finally drowns the gnats.
Use a Spray
If you have a little bug problem, a spray bottle with one tablespoon of vinegar and a small bit of dish soap may suffice. Overwatering is most frequently the cause of gnats buzzing over flowers or burrowing in your potting soil. To treat these gnats, spray the plant with a moderate pesticide, such as neem oil or dish soap dissolved in warm water. If you use dish soap, you must gently wash away the solution after two hours.
Bleach Your Drain
Pour a cup of bleach solution down the gutter if you detect gnats near your kitchen sink or bathtub. Carefully drain it down each garbage vent or pipe until there are no more gnats in your range of vision.
Hire a Professional
If you have a persistent gnat infestation, a reliable and professional firm can assist you. The top pest control firms have experience treating gnat larva and adult gnats and will build a personalized treatment plan for your house at a fair rate.
Gnat Infestation Prevention
After you’ve treated your gnat infestation, there are a few things you may want to do to avoid another one.
- Mop up food and drinks after eating: Do not leave food or drinks out after meals, and clean up any spills as soon as possible.
- Take out your garbage every night and utilize a sealed trash container: Gnats are frequently drawn to rubbish. Gnats will be less likely to enter your home and congregate around your trash if you take out your trash every night and use a sealed trash container.
- Water plants less frequently: Water your indoor plants only as required. Gnats may exploit the region where you overwater your plants for moisture and to lay eggs.
- Put fruit in the fridge: Because gnats are drawn to the fragrance of fruit, leaving fruit out on your countertops might attract them. Instead of leaving your fruits out, place them in the refrigerator
If you were bitten but can’t see what bit you, the bugs might be small, biting midges known as sand gnats and no-see-ums. Stay home on rainy, cloudy days when the air is still, or cover yourself if you must go outside. Insect repellants and repellent apparel may also be beneficial.
ORANGE COUNTY PEST CONTROL
Welcome to the website of the last pest, termite, and rodent company you’ll ever need again. We’re homeowners, parents, and pet owners that strive to live up to our motto Honesty, Integrity, and Excellence. We are a full service OC Pest Control Company that believes in exceeding our customer’s expectations.
We offer our Contracting Services throughout many Southern California Counties and Cities:
- Orange County contract services
- Anaheim contract services
- Westminster contract services
- Fountain Valley contract services
- Irvine contract services
- Cypress contract services
- Garden Grove contract services
- Fullerton contract services
- Huntington Beach contract services
- Newport Beach contract services
- Costa Mesa contract services
- Seal Beach contract services
Preferred Pest Control is proud to serve Fountain Valley, Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, and other surrounding Orange County communities with world-class pest control services. Let us know how we can help, and we’ll be in touch shortly with your free quote.
We accept all major credit cards!